SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: On Design: market tendencies and mechanical systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Just curious but have you tried a 2:1 main halyard set-up? Makes it a bit easier to hoist the main when you're shorthanded. I'm not a big person (1.7M and 70.3 kg) but I've never had trouble putting up the main on a Swan 42 or Farr 40 jumping from the mast, with someone tailing in the cockpit. Usually the last meter or so has to be winched up, but not a big problem with adequately sized cabin-top winches and a decent winch handle. We had an electric halyard winch on the Santa Cruz 52 that we used, but two people could get that main up at the mast by hand.

Yes, probably I would not have a problem in putting it up like you say, except that we would need three to do that. I mean one to put the boat on the wind another to pull the sail at the mast and another to tailing from the cockpit.

Sometimes I do it alone with a little help from the autopilot (always from the cockpit) but most of the times I do it with my wife putting the boat on the wind (with the autopilot it requires more time to find the right course against the wind that sometimes is light and changing).

From the cockpit you have increased friction and besides cruising sails are a lot heavier than racing sails. I have no problem putting a 38ft sail up from the cockpit. I have tried with the Salona 38 and the Elan 380 but with a 41ft with a big sail I have to winch the last 1/3 and even so it is not that easy (I could not do it with the Salona 41 either).

With the electric winch it is fast and easy.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook