SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Nine times out of ten the conditions will range from the benign to boring. However, that tenth time is the one that is noteworthy and besides, we want to safely make harbor ten out of ten times and not merely nine out of ten. Being a San Francisco/ Norcal kind of guy, I do tend to focus on that “tenth” time as our prevailing conditions make for snotty weather more like six out of ten times. I think I had more days this year in 25-35kts of breeze than I did days under 20 kts. When I race the family Catalina in offshore races I have a hard stop at when NOAA predicts periods in seconds less than swell height in feet when swells are over ten feet. Anything less than that and the waves tend to break in the Gulf of the Farallones.

My racing buddies like to give me a hard time about owning a wildly inappropriate boat too. I know that the Nor’ Seas have a loyal following and are a pretty salty boat too. (Isn’t there a guy on this BB who has done the Hawaii thing?) We were just down the Estuary at Marina Village and I would have loved to buy you a beer at EYC. Maybe next time. What I really want to focus on is the outfitting and boat prep here. We have several friends who live in Mexico and I have tons of bread crumb trails and marked waypoints for my chart plotter. I’d like to pick your brain on what worked for you, what would have been a neat thing and what was a waste of storage space.

For example, awnings, dodgers and biminis. We currently have a dodger and a “cruiser awning” that zips into the dodger and ties into the back stay. I’m thinking of getting a framed dodger that would collapse onto the back stay and a zippered transitional piece. Our canvas work is “royal blue”, your thoughts? Also, what do you think of the cruiser curtains? I noticed that you had a big curved awning that went over the boom. Should we make an awning to fit over the forepeak? Where and how did you store all the awnings? Fire away.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook