SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Versatile Sewing Machine

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  firehoser75 
#1 ·
Looking to replace/upgrade dodger as well as interior cushions any thoughts on a sewing machine to consider

#4 ·
I wouldn't use anything but the Sailrite machine. I have the straight/zig-zag machine and have made new sailcovers, bimini, winch, binnacle, and wheel covers plus interior cushions and assorted repairs. Agree that the upper & lower feet must walk in order to get through heavy material. Sailrite has great customer service too! Get the heavy flywheel to make stiching smoother at slow speeds. Good luck.

#6 ·
I use a Singer 107-W1 ashore but I've heard tell by them what knows that the Husqvarna Viking should also be in contention. Seems that before Sailright, that was the machine to have. I'd bet a little research would get you the right model for your needs and one could be found on-line a lot cheaper then a Sailrite machine.

#7 ·
Sewing Question

How does one deal with all of the material (in the small distance between the needle and the machine body) when repairing the middle area of large sails (36 foot boat)?

Is one machine better than another in this regard?

Thanks,
Tom:)

#8 ·
If you can find one, the 1980's vintage Japanese made Borletti machines are second hand for around $100. Built like brick outhouses (as we say in Oz), they are semi-industrial, have all kinds of stitch adjustments and can handle up to a size 18 needle for leather and canvas. The motor struggles a bit on heavy materials, but hand assistance on the flywheel overcomes this.

It would not compare with a Sailrite, but at the price, it will do the job

Cheers

Alan

#9 ·
I live in a yuppie town where we have a Gucci dump (Called a transfer station.)

I have picked up a perfectly serviceable cast iron Singer straight stitch sewing machine for the taking. (The dump has a money-back guarantee policy too.)

While it is limited by the lack of a walking foot and zigzag, it will do most of the canvaswork you need that doesn't require those features.

As has been said, a lot of pretty nice, heavy duty machines can be had for very reasonable money if you spend some time looking.

#10 ·
firehoser75 said:
How does one deal with all of the material (in the small distance between the needle and the machine body) when repairing the middle area of large sails (36 foot boat)? Is one machine better than another in this regard? Thanks, Tom:)
Find the closest edge and roll it up as tight as possible. Then use something to keep it rolled up tight. Clamps, line,etc. The pros use machines with a long throat giving them more clearance. They are very pricey. I use a Sailrite LZ. Will need zig-zag for sails and other applications where there will be large pulling forces on the stitches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.