SailNet Community - View Single Post - Using Google Earth offline on Mac
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013

mrybas is on a distinguished road
Using Google Earth offline on Mac

Before I head back to my boat in the S. Pacific, I would like to download Google Earth data to use when I don't have internet access. I have found the GE images really help give a better idea as to what a new/unexplored anchorage is actually like when used in addition to nautical charts. The problem is the internet is rare, expensive, and slow in French Polynesia (at least the Marquesas and Tuamotus)....So it would be great to create an offline GE data base while I'm in the land of fast internet.
I did a little bit of googling to see if there were any solutions but didn't find what I was looking for. The GE cache will save about 2gb, which is not enough as I would like to save the images for hundreds of islands from Tahiti to NZ. Some PC users are saving and naming caches for a specific area to be loaded into GE when internet is not available. However I am having trouble figuring out how to do this on a Mac. I could run windows as a virtual machine with Fusion or Parallels, but this seem like a pain in the but and would prefer a native mac solution. Does anyone have any suggestions? Mavericks (the newest OSX) has a maps app with satellite images, but I would still need to figure out how to save the caches and reload them later......pleas help!
Thanks!
Mike (in Philadelphia)
SV 'Hartley' (in the Tuamotus)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook