SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question about sail area
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013

Chikokishi is on a distinguished road
Re: Question about sail area

Hey everyone, sorry for the late reply. I never got a notification of replies! Ive been doing some refining on the boat, and we want to build the keel as more of a full keel than a fin. So i will be extending that keel to the full back of the boat and making it a bit deeper. I know that fins thin and deep are much better for maneuverability and such, but i want a nice sturdy boat. The LOA is 11.5 due to laws in my area (we are striving to miss the criteria to register boats) also the boat is this small because i drive a 4cyl toyota truck. Much bigger and i doubt i can get over the mountain passes here!

The position of the keel in the above design is based on my understanding of the need to centre the keel on the centre of sail effort. This was a large push for my original post involving sail area. However, now that i am considering running the keel full back my large question now is... What is the difference between a keel that runs fully from front to back, and a keel that starts at about 1/3 back and continues all the way back? If i understand right, if all your sail area is forward of your keel resistance your boat will tend to steer downwind - not good in an overboard situation!
If you are doing a full keel does centre of keel really matter?

I cant submit images or links anymore, unsure why.

Again, sorry for late reply!

Chiko
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook