SailNet Community - View Single Post - Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement
View Single Post
  #100  
Old 10-30-2013
chucklesR's Avatar
chucklesR chucklesR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena Md - Magothy side
Posts: 5,978
Thanks: 10
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 10
chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Thanks for taking the time to document your work so well.

Chuck you said: "No part of the chain plate actually touched the hull proper - just the three or four layers of glass and resin that where draped over it."

At first I didn't understand the above comment because it looks like the horizontal pieces were directly on the hull. So can I assume that you are referring to the vertical component that is away from the hull the thickness of the horizontal pieces?

Someone mentioned, that their should have been some soft material someplace. Are you still thinking that is important and if so where should it go?

The glass on top of the horizontal and vertical pieces, was it at the same thickness, how thick?

You said the stainless removed looked perfect are you saying, don't hate me for asking, the job was not necessary?

There was some discussion of the cause of the gelcoat cracks, has that ever been successfully figured out?

What do you suspect the purpose of that round bar at the top was? Maybe useful during installation. Seems it wasn't needed for strength.

Sorry about all the questions but enquiring minds etc. etc.
No problem David, that's why I post.

The only portion of the chain plates, vertical and horizontal that actually touched anything was a 1/2 inch or so at the bottom near the cored area of the hull. It was bedded in some time of light gray compound that Dremel'd away easy.

The glass looks to be from 2/8 to 3/16 thick - 3-4 layers and lots of resin - same everywhere. No apparent rhyme or reason. One heavier layer without so much resin at the bottom.

Ha ha ha. Yes, it was not necessary. These plates have and would have stood the test of time. On the other hand now I KNOW - and I'm going to do the rest as well.
With me doing the removal and all the prep for installing the new (just vertical) plates, and a professional install I can get away with 250 for the plates and maybe 10 hours of labor, let's call it 2k. That's cheap for being able to sleep at night somewhere off 'tropical islands'.

At some point I will grind out the primary (pictured) spot of gel coat from the outside in until I run out of crack. I've not removed the plate over it yet - I'm a little leery of taking two plates off on one side quite yet - I've got a 1 mile trip and a haul out yet before they drop the mast.

I think the round bar, and the fact that it was covered in two layers of glass was put there to mess with me personally - I mean they knew I was coming.
I found it by picking out all the 4200, silicone, butyl and other crap from above and pulling prying and scraping until I finally saw shiny bits at the bottom of the opening two inches of toe rail teak down. That and a lot of wiggling and wondering why it was not just falling out literally consumed hours. I'm going to call it a bastard bar even if I find out what it's proper nomenclature is.
__________________
Lessons learned are opportunities earned.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook