SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are there so many Hunter haters?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Why are there so many Hunter haters?

Yeah... personally my beef with SOME Hunters is mainly style and aesthetics based.. I think for the most part, for coastal cruising they are well up to the task. All manufacturers, esp hi volume ones, are going to have the occasional faux pas. I know of a Catalina 320 where the resin never properly cured. The owner recognized the problem and had a fairly rapid, satisfactory resolution when Catalina replaced the boat.

I'm on record as saying I think the late 80s early 90s Legend series are attractive, well set up boats... Smack's 40 was the beginning, moving to the '5' series 35.5, 37.5, 40.5 etc.. they have nice lines, a 'normal' fractional rig, my only complaint here is lack of a deep draft option but I'd be sorely tempted to choose one of those over a C34 or C36 for the type of sailing we do and I really prefer fractional rigs. I'm (subjectively) not a fan of the next and subsequent generations' styling.. but that's just me. Doesn't make them 'bad' boats, just ones I'd not be interested in...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook