SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are there so many Hunter haters?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Why are there so many Hunter haters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

The grid issue is obviously much, much more critical. Catastrophic structural failure is not an option...ever...therefore, this issue is far more worrying for most people considering a boat. So unless there is much more credible evidence that this is a "brand-wide" problem (not just a couple of questionable articles by this Pascoe dude) - then I stand by my assertion that the hysteria is seriously overblown.
Yes I agree that surveyor is generalizing a bit and have a very critical stance about many things that are today an Industry standard, for example the use of grids and cored hulls. He does not talk about new boats but about the effects those "standards" can have on 20 or 30 year's old boats.

I think he has some good points even if I am bot interested in boats with 20 years much less 30 and therefore what he says is not very important to me.

However the fact that article is still online and the guy had not be sued by Hunter should have some relevance in what regards the truthfulness of the cases he reports.

Regarding grids as structural components (or part of it) they are used on the Industry for more than 20 years and the only cases I have heard regarding big problems hare the Hunter's ones. Not meaning that other cases with other brands don't exist, just saying that I never heard about them.

Regarding catastrophic failure only if the sailor is blind or deaf because some signs will clearly appear first (cracks and sound of the grid hammering the hull). They are clearly described on some posts on the Hunter's forum. It would be a difficult and expensive reparation but nothing that cannot be done before a catastrophic failure occurs.

I agree with you that the reported cases are not many for the number of boats. Probably on the boats that have that potential problem this only occurs when the boat is extensively used offshore in hard conditions. time will tell if these problems will also occur also on all boats with that problem when they get older . Time will tell

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook