SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are there so many Hunter haters?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Why are there so many Hunter haters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
The thing is that the Hunter bashers online will never admit that it isn't a universal Hunter problem where all models and all years are bad boats.

My position isn't that all Hunters are good. My position is that not all hunter models are bad.

Hunter bashing is a sport!
Now I see this as something different. It is important for the issue to be out there. People looking to buy the boats then can make an informed decision, and can check for the grid decontamination before forking out the money for a survey. If they go ahead and purchase one, then they can keep an eye on it so it is discovered before it becomes dangerous. It is all about knowing limitations and understanding how to live with them.

There are some Hunters I would consider, others I would not. I don't see it as bashing, but more seeing the limitations. Just like the bashing Island Packets get, yes it is important that if someone in a predominantly low wind area understand that they are weak light wind performers, and understand there are some serious issues with there construction, like the glassed in chain plates. Valiants get bashed for being a blister factory. Cal boats have the galvanized cross beam in the bilge that supports the mast.They call them "Bendytoys." I don't think it is limited to bashing Hunters, no boats go un-bashed here to some extent or another as all boats have weakness design is inherently a compromise. No boat is the perfect boat and must meet budget constraints whether high or low. It just seems like there is more when it is your boat, or perhaps it just hurts more. Also there are a lot of Hunters out there so more people are looking at them.

OK, Catalina's are never bashed here, but every other brand is!

Last edited by miatapaul; 10-30-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook