SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Free boat" seaworthiness
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Good luck. It's hard to resist the siren song of a free boat. But before you take it, consider everything carefully. What if the current owner is lying, and she was under water for more than a few days? What if the missing hatch has allowed water to build up in the cabin and ruined the bulkheads? What if the chainplates are attached to the bulkheads? What if the engine was waterlogged and has tons of salt in it? What if the sails are also full of salt?

Yes, the above can all be fixed. But at what cost? What could you buy for what you'll spend on fixing up this boat? Granted, no boat, not even a new one, is truly perfect right when you buy it, and you'll always want to make changes. But THIS boat isn't going to get you out on the water any time soon, and if it were me, I'd be worrying about what unknown issues are waiting for me. I think I'd pass on this boat and find something else. As you know, there ARE others out there, both free and low cost. Given your representations about your financial status, I'd also suggest that this boat is going to suck more out of your savings than you might like. I'd hate to hear that a fellow Sailnetter bought a boat and it became another "broken dream" boat. I'd rather hear about how you enhanced your existing boats and how much you enjoy them. Keep in mind that salvaging a boat, even a free boat, frequently costs more than you get from the sale of the parts.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook