SailNet Community - View Single Post - Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
The only portion of the chain plates, vertical and horizontal that actually touched anything was a 1/2 inch or so at the bottom near the cored area of the hull. It was bedded in some time of light gray compound that Dremel'd away easy.
I feel like a dog with a bone here. I'm trying to get a good mental picture of exactly what it looks like.

I operate under the assumption that whatever is done was done for a reason. The reason may be misguided, maybe wrong, maybe stupid but a reason nonetheless.

So are you telling me that the only the bottom half or less of the bottom horizontal bar was set in some sort of putty?
That would mean the the balance of the horizontal members were floating what like 1/4 to a 3/8 off the hull.?

This actually makes a lot of sense. From a fabrication point of view to make this christmas tree arrangement and have all the horizontal members lay tight to the hull would be very time consuming.

This also explains the bastard bar. It is welded on at an easily referenced point so the whole unit is shoved in from below until the bastard bar bottoms out and the bottom edge of the bottom horizontal member is puttied to the hull and you have your chain plate in positioned. Now just have the junior guy come after you and slap some glass over the whole thing and you are done.

So while the whole thing is evil from a repair point of view it makes sense from a build it quick point of view.

Not unlike hull liners on most production boats. Really stinks when you want to move deck hardware or fix wiring but saves lots of time in building the boat.

Do you think my scenario is plausible?
As to why the bastard bar was so thoroughly buried I've got this vision of junior being told to cover the chain plates so he figured he would really cover them. May not have been an engineering decision.

Last edited by davidpm; 10-30-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook