SailNet Community - View Single Post - Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement

As far a putting it back together goes I'm still seeing it going back together the same way it was put together with the following small tweaks,

1. The bastard bar is only their as a stopper and is not glued or glassed, doesn't need it.
2. The chain plate vertical is screwed to the horizontal pieces. The horizontal pieces are tapped so no nut is necessary.
3. The glassing of the horizontal pieces is done to leave a chainplate width area clear in the middle.

The only extra work is the drilling and tapping a few screws.
You put it together as a christmas tree and stick it in their and glass it in place.
Now any time you want to pull the chain plate just undo the exposed screws and drop it out. Should take about 10 minutes to pull a plate.
Adjust the width of the horizontals and the number and size of the screws to make sure it is a strong as a weld.

I know some folks have recommended putting in a knee and lots of boats have them but in my imagination I see disadvantages.
1. It is probably more work to do the knee.
2. It may introduce a hard spot on the hull.
3. You will have less flexibility on the cabinetry.
4. You will have some angles to work out if you change the plane of the chainplate
5. You may have to change something on the toe rail.

I'm just paranoid about changing too much on a boat that has done so well for so many years.
One it is always more work than expected due to reengineering.
Two I might not think of something.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook