SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Free boat" seaworthiness
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
........I could have been sailing it all summer. however, the trailer has rusted out on the central frame beam; the tongue as it extends to the axle. it rusted through right where it hits the axle frame member. I can't get to it to weld it with the boat on it. not having a big fork lift, a crane, or a large pond in my back yard; I am having an issue with getting the boat off of the trailer, in my mom's yard, to fix the trailer. fixing the trailer will be easy. it's getting the boat off of it that is hard and I can't take the boat anywhere to remove it because the trailer is unsafe.......

.......but this boat is already on the water. if I can find a place to keep it, and muster the funds for docking rent.......

.....I can clean her up and sail her anytime I want.

So, what will you do with the Holliday and when will you do it? That rusty trailer is only going to get worse as time passes. Mom isn't going to be too happy with it abandoned in place. Simply getting it moved, or off the trailer is a small issue compared to restoring the free boat to a useable status. The free boat is going to take a lot more than just cleaning her up.

Just my thought, but maybe it's better to deal with the first problem boat (the one in Mom's yard) before taking on another problem boat. Boat yards (and anyone else) are unlikely to accept the free boat on their property as it is now because of the possibility (or rather the likelihood) of it eventually being abandoned on their property. Fix the trailer and use the Holliday for sailing until you get in a better financial situation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook