jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
denise030 asks a really good question.
She does that a lot.

Quote:
that 27 footer is beautiful and early free, as she says, but, realistically, i'd not only have to find a place to keep that boat but I'd also have to transport it down here.
Negotiate with the club to store her there over this winter, then sail her down in the spring.

Quote:
that's really more boat than I can handle, at this point in life.
I'm confused, then, why you think you'll be game for gutting the other boat while she's in the water. That's going to be a physically demanding job, probably moreso than motor-sailing that 27 from Philly to the Chesapeake.

Quote:
I think 25' would be maximum. a little less would be a bit better. this boat looked as if it might have been an opportunity for that. but....maybe not. lol
I'm in my 40's, so maybe I don't have the right perspective. A 25' and 27' boat are going to have close to the same sail area, so the force on the sail is going to be approximately the same. That means that the strength you'll need to wrestle the 27's sails will be about the same as a 25. If the issue is with the ability to control a 27' when you're used to something smaller, I wouldn't worry too much. We jumped from a 14' rental to a 25'. It took about 3 tries docking to start to get comfortable. The next year (this past season) we jumped to a 31. I think the "new" boat is easier to handle than the 25.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook