SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tilt-up dinghy lifting systems for sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tilt-up dinghy lifting systems for sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Most sailboat transoms are narrower than their dinghies are long. This means that when the sailboat heels over the dinghy bow or stern would dig into the water and act like a massive brake.

I put my dinghy on the foredeck of the boat, then it doesn't change LOA at all. Plus my 28' boat is really too small for davits (though a friend with the identical boat does have them).
That's what I think, too. I have an 11 foot Boston Whaler. I would love to put it on the back transom, but my boat's beam at the widest point is only 14 feet.

It would stick out a couple of feet on both sides at the transom, (which is an ice cream scoop type and only about six feet wide or so where I would have to attach the dinghy.

I even thought about attaching the dinghy to the sailboat, transom to transom, but then measure how far the bow of the dinghy would be standing up at the back of the boat (about 12 feet, counting getting it at lest a foot off of the water). I didn't see that as a viable option.

Now, I just tow it on short coastal trips and carry it inverted on the foredeck when offshore.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook