SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: 2013 Mini Transat Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Well, the Race Committee has decided to abandon the Douarnenez-Sada leg of the race due to concerns about the weather. Competitors were advised to head for Gijon or the nearest Cantabrian port. The leaders in the Proto and Series class, will be arriving in Sada shortly, with Giancarlo Pedote (747) extending his lead over Gahinet to 13 miles, with fewer than 20 miles to go (indeed, he is probably already there).

I don't want to speculate about climate change, but this has certainly been one of the strangest weather patterns I've seen, and the photos of the Mini 6.50's at sea certainly confirm that conditions have been very tough, even though the wind strength has not been above 20 knots. Be sure to see the great shots of 747 blasting through the waves with double-reefed main, solent and screecher. Gives you an idea what a wet, rough ride it has been.

What they do next will be interesting. Presumably the boats will have to re-group somewhere, perhaps Sada, but does this mean that Craig Horsefield will be able to rejoin the race if he can fix his boat and truck it to the start? Will they move the start further south to A Coruna or Cascais? Will they wait in Sada for a better window? Who knows?

And, of course, what about the TJV, which is cued up and ready to go? A very interesting time to be following offshore racing. Unfortunately, most
people in North America are oblivious to all of this. Pity.
I did not post about it buy saw that those 24 hours till the bad weather had been shorted to 12 and thought that the slower boats would be in trouble.

But they could learn something with the motorsport world namely with the rallies : They could have determined that the six or so top protos and the first of the series were authorized to race to Sada, if they want and find suitable conditions (I think they all have time to make it to port safely). To any of those boats that chose not to race to Sada and to all the others that have to look for shelter in the Cantabria coast would be attributed the time of the last one to arrive to Sada.

Nothing new at least in Rallies and it would preserve the sportive truth.

Like that it is ridiculous. All those guys battling with upwind sailing for nothing? That's not right!!!

Regarding climate change last year we had practically no spring, on the Aegean everybody was commenting about the most windy summer in many years and some days ago UK has experienced the worst storm in 10 years

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-31-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook