View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Uneven Water Loss in Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Hi All,

Strange questions. I keep my 343 on a battery charger (3 stage marine rated) while she's at dock. I also do monthly battery maintenance, including topping off the banks w/distilled H20 once a month.

In my most recent maintenance cycle, I noticed an oddity. My house bank is two Group 27 batteries wired in parallel. They are in battery boxes below the aft bunk which has a vent. In topping off the fluids, I noticed that 1 battery had much lower water level than the other. The other battery had water level that was full (required nothing) while the other was really low (almost to the point of showing the plates).

What could be causing this uneven water loss?
Old batteries develop internal shorts that generate a fair amount of heat and cook-off electrolyte. Try reversing the order of the batteries and doing an equalization cycle. That may give you a bit more time but it may simply be time to replace the batteries. I now rotate the order of our batteries about once every 6 months which, supposedly, will give them a somewhat longer life span.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook