SailNet Community - View Single Post - Survey?????? I've never had one
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Survey?????? I've never had one

Generally, a survey will tell you what is wrong with the boat and is usually required by insurance companies before you'll be able to get it insured. Think of it like a home inspection before buying a house, but for boats.

That said, my first boat was a 22 footer and I did not have a survey done. At the time, I also didn't know what a survey was, but in retrospect, having gone through it with my current boat, I'd not get one on another 22 footer should I buy another one. That first boat was covered under my homeowner's insurance and a survey wasn't required anyway. I did have someone I knew who was an experienced sailor crawl around on it and let me know if it would at least float and the condition of the sails. I wasn't that concerned about the rest as I wanted a boat to teach me about all the other things about owning a boat, not just the sailing part.

For what it's worth, I seriously doubt that I'd buy a boat that size from a broker, either, only because of the money that might be tacked on to the cost of the boat to cover the broker's fee.

$750 seems high for a boat that size. I paid a third of that for my 30 footer but I'm in a different location. Was the surveyor recommended by the broker? That would be a red flag for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 10-31-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook