SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to sleep
Thread: How to sleep
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: How to sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sail bags, gear bags, whatever. If you're doing a multiple day race/rally, you'll be so tired you'll figure it out really quick.
Yep. Every time I've passaged on a boat with crew we all just crashed out on whatever pile of gear looked the least uncomfortabe. Worst experience for me was actually finding myself in the berth that the owner's muttley considered his own and which just happened to be right below the tiller pilot. Mmmmm. Wet smelly dog and bzzzt bzzt bzzzt ... such fun. Even so I still got to sleep and loggishly at that.

Our quarter berth mattress is split with a lee cloth riggable down the middle. That makes for OK comfort either tack. We also have lee cloths on both port and starboard saloon berths but reality is that unless you are in really bumpy conditions offshore as long as you crash in the leeward berth you'll stay put well enough. Even the v-berth is not the horror story you often read about provided there are plenty of sail bags around.

Failing all that ? Yep, the floor.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook