SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Standing/Running Rig diagrams?

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Chikokishi 
#1 ·
I am trying to develop an authentic gaff rig cutter's rigging. I have "the gaff rig handbook" and "Hand reef and steer" Both of which are gaff rig booksthat explain the rigging, but neither have useful 'here's a diagram of how the rigging in this section can be built'

Ive been looking online for a while, does anyone have a lead to where a persom may get a good visual on the actual working part of the rigging? Not and explanation of what it does.. more of how to build it.

Chiko

#2 ·
Chiko, if those books don't help, I doubt you'll find anything really helpful on-line since it is tricky to show it all in 2 dimensions and gaff rigs (just like Bermudan rigs) developed over time to suit different types of boats.

Your best bet is to join a Classic Yacht Association and go sailing on a few gaffers.. a lot. That way you'll get to understand what the functions of the different parts of the rig are, how they work and how it is all put together. Then find out which boat-builders in your area deal with traditional rigs and go talk to them.

#3 · (Edited)
How authentic do you intend to get with the standing rigging Chiko ? Wire or rope ? If rope, natural fiber, synthetic or natural fiber with a wire core ?
I believe you may find some of the mechanics for rigging in a traditional method in the "The Complete Rigger's Apprentice" by Brion Toss.
Brion Toss Yacht Riggers, Sailboat Rigging
It won't say "Here's how to rig the forward lowers on a gaffer" so much as "Here's how to rig a deadeye then parcel and worm it"

#4 ·
by "authentic" what i meant was that i intend on trying to make the rigging look like it should. the boat i am building is only 11.75' long, so really getting rigging and everything is slightly overkill. But its the presence and style that i am going for. I will most likely be using a synthetic rope as they (from what i hear) offer up less complications.

What i was looking for was .. yeah.. diagrams of how to make the things and such, or how they are rigged up. I cant find detailed enough pictures online, and mostly just modern things with wenches and electric motors on youtube.

As for joining a yacht club... well.. im 400 miles from anywhere that uses sailboats on a regular basis.. and probably a good 1000 from anywhere where ill find a real gaff ship. In fact... the largest lake within an hour drive from me kills every thing that enters it. So thats that.

Thanks for the replies!
Chiko

#6 ·
by "authentic" what i meant was that i intend on trying to make the rigging look like it should. the boat i am building is only 11.75' long, so really getting rigging and everything is slightly overkill. But its the presence and style that i am going for. I will most likely be using a synthetic rope as they (from what i hear) offer up less complications.

What i was looking for was .. yeah.. diagrams of how to make the things and such, or how they are rigged up. I cant find detailed enough pictures online, and mostly just modern things with wenches and electric motors on youtube.
If you can find a copy of the Discovery Channel TV Series "Getting Afloat", I think you'll find that helpful.

It's filmed in the UK, but in restoring an old gaff-rigged Sharpie dinghy, Nick does a very good job of explaining how various parts of the rig are made and how they work.

Good luck with your project. :)

#5 ·
#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.