SailNet Community - View Single Post - Muscling the Motor onto the Outboard Bracket
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Muscling the Motor onto the Outboard Bracket

What I did with our 90lb Tohatsu was to carry it aboard our Catalina 25. I fed out enough of the main halyard so that, when under tension, the halyard passed over the stern rail and down to about where I expected the carry handle to sit. I then tied off the halyard and double-checked the length. I attached the halyard shackle to the carry handle, then lifted the engine over the rail and down, bending over the rail until I got it onto the outboard bracket. I did this 3 or 4 times, and always by myself. If I had a helper, I would have had both of us aboard the boat, one above the stern rail (me) and one below the rail. Having someone down there would have made it MUCH easier to guide the engine onto the mount, and it would have allowed me to more easily transition from getting the engine over the trail to getting down and easing the engine onto the mount. Of course, if your engine fits between the rail and the transom, then life is even easier for you. Put down some towels to protect the hull, and just slide it through with the halyard attached and with your wife keeping just a BIT of slack on the line.

attached the main halyard to the handle
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook