Thread: How to sleep
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: How to sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
You know those fancy yachts at the boat show with the queen sized beds forward and aft? We'll I'm crewing on one in the Salty Dawg Rally. Lucky me I'll be trying to sleep in one of these heeled over. How do you stay in bed? Or should I just sleep on the floor?
Part of the point of center island queens is to be able to climb in and out easily without disturbing whoever you are sharing the berth with. Usually that means it is difficult to stack gear or anything else to wedge yourself in. Everything--including you--ends up on the floor.

Lee cloths work fine although depending on configuration it may take some work to mount fittings to connect it to. On Auspicious the aft berth lee cloths are permanently fixed and are usually under the mattress. They rig to backed up rings in the overhead. I have a plan for a third, centerline cloth that I haven't tried yet. We'll see how that works out.

Sleeping on the floor is highly underrated. It's one of my favorite spots. After all it's hard to fall off the floor. *grin* A good bit depends on the configuration of the boat - you need to find a place that isn't in the way of people getting to the head, nav station, and galley. That usually isn't a problem if those spots are at the base of the companionway (where they should be). It is more problematic with a forward head or a shotgun galley.

Hammocks are a poor solution. They take up a huge amount of room, their swinging gets out of phase with boat motion which is unpleasant, and for those of us who aren't 20 anymore contribute to aches and pains. Day after day spending off watch underway in a hammock below is much different than a nap on the foredeck at anchor. Most assuredly not recommended. Makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

Have fun on the Salty Dawg. Let us know which boat you are on so we can watch on the tracker.

It's only chilly for the first day or so until you get past the Gulf Stream.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 11-01-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: fixing typos
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook