SailNet Community - View Single Post - Your Pick for Best Crimpers
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Your Pick for Best Crimpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Well that makes buying these tools kind of a crap shoot. Like you, I enjoy fine tools and view them as a lifetime investment and doing the job right the first time, but I don't enjoy buying several of the same tool because what worked great, suddenly doesn't.

Such is the state of the tool industry these days. I just recently purchased a Porter Cable 18V cordless drill and impact driver. PC USED to be known for QUALITY tools. This LiIon set is WORSE quality than my Ryobi set, and utter JOKE....... On the other hand my M-12 Milwaukee stuff has been literally bomb proof.....

Fein, Festool, Snap-On, Fluke, MAC Tools, AMP and some others don't skimp on quality but today it seems everyone else is in a race for the bottom so you need to pick and choose carefully.

Heck for some tools I use Harbor Freight and for others only the best will do. If I am making a plunge cut into a $200.00 piece of teak you can bet I am using only my Fein. You could not pay me to do that with my HFT, Dremel or Milwaukee multi-tools...

It all depends on what I am using the tool for. I have no need for using my Snap-On wrenches on boats when my $8.99 set from Harbor Freight works very well on 98% of the jobs I need a wrench for. Also when I drop one into the pond I can shrug it off and not worry about that expense.

Tool quality, as a necessity, is entirely dependent upon what you are doing with it. Electrical stuff is pretty critical work but the reality is that a mid-grade tool can suffice for most owners..... For me doing this every day mid-grade crimp tools only suffice for crimps I make in-frequently. The mid-grade tools tend to wear out faster and lose calibration faster. My AMP tools have literally made thousands and thousands and thousands of crimps and the calibration has not budged.

I have thrown away two cheap crimp frames in the last year that became sloppy. It happens. They were used in-frequently for BNC or other odd ball crimps but I still wore them out. It is cheaper for me to toss them out and buy another, in some cases. With a red, blue & yellow tool this would likely mean bi-yearly replacements so the AMP's, to me, represent a tremendous value. For a DIY a mid grade frame might last a lifetime... I order my terminals in 100 - 500 quantities, per size, terminal, ring etc.... Most DIY's won't go through 500 crimp terminals in a lifetime..

Remember the tools in that review are NOT premium grade tools they are mid-level tools. If I had suggested everyone buy a professional grade tool I would have been hung and dried.....

For now I think the Pro's Kit stuff represents a tremendous value for the DIY..... Heck for odd ball stuff I use a lot of Pro's Kit. Some dies are great and others are only okay but overall, for the price, it is tough to beat...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-01-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook