SailNet Community - View Single Post - Muscling the Motor onto the Outboard Bracket
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Muscling the Motor onto the Outboard Bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafrontiersman View Post
I found that the easiest way for me was to use my boom/topping lift and a short piece of stout rope tied to the boom with a clove hitch on one end running through the motor mount and the other end tied with a rolling hitch. Pick her up, swing her over, let her down, done!
Good luck!
Good suggestion. The ships boom with a tackle to the outboard, if necessary should be all you need to get the motor on board the boat. In terms of lifting the engine onto the bracket, ensure you secure a tether to the powerhead such that if you do "loose it", the engine is not going into the drink. (It might be wise to purchase a lifting bridle for the engine from Defender or West Marine as they do come in handy for that.) For moving the engine around on board, one can buy a round Teflon furniture pad at Lowes or Home Depot that you can rest the drive/prop on and use to simply slide the motor along the deck.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook