SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heard of laser flare lights?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Re: Heard of laser flare lights?

I've had one of these for several years and never had to use it. I like the idea....long range visibility, ability to focus it directionally, portability are key advanatages. It isn't as useful for what might be termed a "general broadcast" of distress as say a rocket flare, but if a possible source of assistance is within visual range the laser flare could be very useful.

I will say one thing for this company: They stand by their product. As I said I've had one for several years -- five, in fact. While I was prepping for our trans Atlantic passage last spring I hauled out all the gear in the ditch kit for testing. I couldn't get the laser flare to work. Tried everything...new batteries, etc. I called the company in Alaska and told them I was having a problem. The lady I spoke with walked me through some diagnostics, but nothing seemed to work. I asked them to send me a replacement part for the laser element as I thought that was the most likely point of failure.

She declined saying they didn't supply spare parts, but offered to replace the entire unit. I asked, "How much?"

She said there would be no charge and asked that I return my unit to them so they could figure out what might have caused the problem. I offered to pay for shipping for the replacement as I needed the unit right away, but she refused and said she'd send it to me second-day delivery.

When I got back to the US several months later I sent my old unit back to them and got an email from the lady I had spoken with saying that there was nothing wrong with my old unit...it seems I had the batteries in backwards. I offered to send their new unit back, but she said that was not necessary and they would use my old unit as a demo. unit.

So how's that for customer service? I had a five year old unit -- replaced with a new one at no charge whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook