SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fraud on the hook
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Fraud on the hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I don't see it that way.

If I wrote you a bad check it would still take you MONTHS to do a damn thing about it. Not being American does nothing to change that.
Even the sheriff in the article expresses his concern that Otts might himself be a victim.

We do not KNOW the status of his visa status. I don't work for ICE, do you?
Some law enforcement agencies are not allowed to request legal status/green card/visa doc's unless an arrest is made prior to the request.

I used to run databases for related federal agencies, it's not as simple as you think. No one is running around checking visa's folks - not even for "I think he's illegal" finger pointers - and no actual charges have been made.
Nope, I don't work for ICE. But the newspaper reports showed an immigration stamp from some time last year (September, I think) with a validity of 90 days (again, I think). So, unless they renewed the visa (which nobody claims), we DO know the status of their visa, it is expired.

And, again I am certainly no expert (don't even play one on TV), but I would think that ICE is allowed to request to see the visa status. If not there would not be much justification to even have the agency.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook