SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which 27 footer to buy.
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
Which 27 footer to buy.

I bought a Catalina 27 in the spring and at first didn't like it. Came with blown out original sails, leaking keel bolts and a finicky atomic 4(replaced from a diesel don't ask me why?). Worked on the motor(seems the points need replacing regularly, plugs and soon to add a. Electronic fuel pump. After having the stern pulpit damaged by a novice powerboater in it's slipI used the insurance money to upgrade the roller furled genoa and a new main sail,
added an autotlller, and spruced up the deck, cockpit and teak. I have someone ready to repair the pulpit and keel bolts now that it is on the hard! I'm going to seal the Catalina smile on the keel joint. With the upgrades it sailed much better and the interior has been upgraded and is spacious, nice looking and functional. We'll see next season if she is a keeper but at $6,250 including summer slip($1,250) it wasn't too bad! Got $4,750 for my C&C 24(1983). Was crazy for that boat, lots of fun to sail the 1977 Cat 27 is a stiff sailor and a companionway you can put a fridge down not to mention standing headroom it is a lot of boat.the wife like sit better and that is a keeping point. Now to get her over the fear of board g it over the open water ! Could gave got a 1972 C &C 27 for $5K and a Irwin 27 for even cheaper. I would have liked the steering wheel on the C&C but it is all give and take. Good luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook