SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The discussion regarding if a bigger boat can be handle for one, two or three has nothing to do with the generic principle in discussion and is an altogether different subject that has much to do with the skipper experience, the type of boat and the way the boat is rigged.
Paulo, ALL,

I am the OP.

When I asked about “safety”, I AM speaking of the total subject! NOT just the specific design parameters of this boat or the other.

I am sorry I was not more specific in the original post regarding my views. I am speaking in terms of the typical cruising couple, maybe with a child or 2. They bought a boat and are out for the adventure of a life time. I am NOT talking about an aircraft carrier or cruise ship.

In speaking of “safety” at sea, the crew compliment MUST be taken into account. I am not specific as to the capability, assuming any single member of the crew can handle the boat. BUT, the size of the boat has a large impact on that. If, as in the video posted, the crew is not large enough to handle the boat when things go to crap, the boat is NOT safe! The size of the boat, “big” did NOT add safety to that boat.

A crew of 2 can handle a 30 foot boat with all electrical systems down, can't say that for a 60 ft boat.

In my view, “safety” takes ALL aspects of the craft and crew into consideration!

By the way, barefootnavigator,

We have hot and cold pressure water aboard our 27 and have taken hot showers at sea! AND, I can tell you after a freezing watch, it is heaven. We also have a fireplace and use it a lot. Our range under power is between 500 and 750 miles. Smaller boat uses less fuel.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook