SailNet Community - View Single Post - i NEED HELP/Training weather?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: i NEED HELP/Training weather?

Reef automatically if 20 knots are predicted. Wind is almost always greater than the forecast because most forecasts are for coastal LAND areas. If you get an offshore forecast it will be closer to the truth. An old sailors saying that is most often true: "As the sun rises, so does the wind."

Tacking upwind will be fun but be very careful of jibing unintentionally once you turn around and come back on a run. Your safest bet if the wind is honking is to stay well away from a dead run and practice intentional jibes, tacking back. With wind 20+ knots you can bring down the entire rig or hurt someone with the boom jibing if you're not very careful. Tacking is easy. If you miss it, you just fall off and try again. Jibing is more difficult to pull off smoothly without putting a lot of stress on the rig. If the sea is rolling, as it usually is in 20 knots of wind, it will want to throw the boat around on a run and cause you to expose the sail to a jibe. 100% attention at the helm is necessary with a following sea.