View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Paulo, ALL,

I am the OP.

When I asked about “safety”, I AM speaking of the total subject! NOT just the specific design parameters of this boat or the other.
Yes, and generically, type of boat for type of boat, a bigger boat will be more seaworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
I am sorry I was not more specific in the original post regarding my views. I am speaking in terms of the typical cruising couple, maybe with a child or 2. They bought a boat and are out for the adventure of a life time. ...

In speaking of “safety” at sea, the crew compliment MUST be taken into account. I am not specific as to the capability, assuming any single member of the crew can handle the boat. BUT, the size of the boat has a large impact on that. If, as in the video posted, the crew is not large enough to handle the boat when things go to crap, the boat is NOT safe! The size of the boat, “big” did NOT add safety to that boat.
Even considering handling the boat and if we consider a 27ft, even an heavy one like yours, a bigger boat (same type) is safer and more seaworthy.

Sure I understand what you say regarding handling the boat and there are limits for that, related with the size of the boat with the type of rigging and most of all with the experience of the skipper, but certainly you would have no problem handling the same type of boat you own if it was a 35ft.

It is not needed much experience to handle that type of boat and a 35ft is a lot more stable, has considerable more stability and will make all work forward or near the mast more safe.

Of course, another question is to know if that for the type of sailing you make your boat has all the safety you need and probably it has.

But the question was if a bigger boat was safer and more seaworthy. And the answer is: Yes it is, assuming the skipper has enough experience to handle it.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-01-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook