SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

But the question was if a bigger boat was safer and more seaworthy. And the answer is: Yes it is, assuming the skipper has enough experience to handle it.
In the original post I did not talk about seaworthy. Only safety. ANY boat that is not seaworthy is unsafe.

I also stated that 35 was now considered small. Yes, at this time Jill and I could handle a 35 footer, but it would be no "safer", than our 27.

I would consider going to sea in a 55+ foot boat as unsafe for Jill and I to take alone. I am talking about the possibility of bad weather. But that is us.

If the crew can not handle the boat in bad weather with all power out, it's an unsafe boat, NO MATTER WHAT THE DESIGN OR SIZE. And bigger boats get unsafe faster with fewer crew. In my reasoning...

I often hear (like at a party we were just at), "That a 27 must be unsafe! Better to get a 50 foot boat as it's much safer." What I was speaking to in the original post was just because a boat is bigger, does not make it safer.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook