SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tilt-up dinghy lifting systems for sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Tilt-up dinghy lifting systems for sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillessinseattle View Post
Makes sense. I just tow the dinghy, but I can't leave it in the water as it gets yucky really fast. Lifting to the deck is hard (90 lbs) something I do for the winter. I need a quick and easy way to lift the boat and keep it off the water for a week or two, but I wouldn't mind towing still when underway.

Someone at the marina has a narrow scoop step and uses that to rest the side of the dinghy on while at the slip.
What marina are you in? Based on your name I'm guessing you are in Seattle.

Shilshole has dinghy racks that let you store the dinghy on your own dock. They add a little bit to the monthly cost (I think $5/mo?), but it isn't so bad. It is easier to get the 90lb dinghy onto the dock then onto the foredeck of the boat. I believe that Elliot Bay has dinghy racks for rent, but they aren't next to each slip.

If you are at Shilshole I'm happy to show you how I use a spare halyard to lift the dinghy up to the foredeck. I'm often at Shilshole since my boat is there. My dinghy weighs about as much as yours.

If I'm just trying to get my dinghy off of the foredeck and onto the dock I try to find a 3rd who can help. 3 people can easily do that with a 90lb dinghy.