SailNet Community - View Single Post - Survey?????? I've never had one
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Survey?????? I've never had one

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I spent 12hrs surveying a 45' boat yesterday. If it took me more than 1 1/2hrs (moving very slowly & having a coffee break) to survey a 22 footer with an outboard motor I'd find another way of making a living.

Do you really think it takes as much time to survey ....
a 45' ketch with two masts, , 7 hidden chain plates, miles of hidden electrical wiring, hundreds of electrical connections, two shore power outlets, fourteen keel bolts, 12 throughulls (five of them hidden) generator, inverter, two battery chargers, two galvanic isolators, two isolation transformers, four battery banks, five battery switches,, 11 pieces of navigation electronics, two heads with convoluted waste plumbing, a propane system supplying a stove, catalytic heater and instant water heater, diesel fired furnace, engine driven and water cooled DC refrigeration.

vs. ...........

A 22' sailboat with one mast, a single burner alcohol stove, a port-a-potty and an outboard motor ?
Of course not. But which would take longer to survey?

1) a 70' stripped out racer with no interior, a 20hp exposed engine, sloop rigged, open cave design, no plumbing, external removable fuel tank, and full instruments. Built on a carbon/epoxy/foam core hull.

2) a 30' wooden cutter ketch, with installed AC, generator, engine buried in an engine room, installed plumbing system, two berths, twin fuel tanks, twin water tanks, full nav instruments, ect...?

My point is simply that while some surveyors may charge by the foot, it s not unreasonable for a surveyor to charge by how long it will take for him/her to perform the survey.