SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
John,

I know you from our other talks on other boards, and would LOVE to sit down and have a sundowner together some time! I respect your great experience and do not want to disagree, but on occasion, we have outrun much larger boats on our 27. NOT 60 footers!!

When we were in the yard in Napa Valley last March, a guy walked up and called us by name. We were greatly surprised to see a guy who had sort of blown us off in La Paz Mexico a few years ago. He had finished up a circumnavigation and didn't have time for us nubes. At any rate, in the yard, he went into this LONG apology for the way he treated us. He said that he had a very profound respect for us and our Nor'Sea. He asked if we remember when we departed the La Paz bay at about the same time he did. It was some place in the back recesses of my brain, but Jill remembered it. He related he did everything in his book to kick his Cheoy Lee 40+ in the pants, but we walked away from him. In light airs, we cook.

I had to snicker, Jill was doing the work that day, not me......

Waterline is important, but not always the deciding factor. Like EVERYTHING boating, there are so many tradeoffs.

Also, we have friends in there Nor'Sea that beat most of the fleet from the Galapagos to the Marquesas a few years ago as they had a Mainster sail to set. The cats and tris were standing still, monos not moving at all. From there ( Newsleters )web page;
“At last, 11:30 AM on May 12 we were anchor down in Hanavave Bay on Fatu Hiva, Marquesas after 27 days at sea.* Average days run of 112 nm per day.”

Greg
Sure, I can also cite instances where my little tub - 25' on the waterline - has outpaced larger boats...

Still, those anecdotal examples are not enough to dispel my belief that a greater LWL will - IN GENERAL - produce higher speeds, and faster passage times... :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook