SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Free boat" seaworthiness
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
you know, I have looked at the picture of that boat a thousand times over. it's dirty as hell, but the mast is clean as can be and it's got a nice sail cover.. he told me it's been on the water for 4 months. that rain did get inside and he had to pump it out. he said it got that muddy in low tide. not sure what that means...
It probably means that it sat on the bottom in water that was about 4' deep at low tide. When the tide came in, the boat would flood and get coated with dirty water. When the tide went out, the deck and top of the hull would be exposed, causing the dirty water to dry and cake on the boat. Through all of this the mast would stay clean if the boat was upright.

That other boat that sunk was in the Delaware River, which isn't exactly pristine. However, it did have ~2 knot tidal currents which would prevent the dirt from caking on. Chesapeake and tributaries generally have much less tidal current.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook