SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Free boat" seaworthiness
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

yeah. they also have a bigger version, the vacationer, and a skilled person could scale up the plans to go bigger. but I was just curious. I won't deny having thought along those lines but I don't have time to completely build a boat, right now. if I were to do one, i'd scale it up. it'd take more material of course. but I think you could build one that was a pretty nice cruiser, had you the time. I think i'd have to look at the keel design. it's balanced with the sail plan, obviously, but I think i'd want a more traditional keel profile and just refigure the sails to get the right balance. figuring that stuff out isn't beyond my means. but there is the time issue.

but, who knows. someday.....they are a pretty little boat. reminds me of a skipjack or a bugeye. very traditional looks. I like that. I have a 9' dinghy with a long shallow keel and a sprit sail in the back of my truck. i'm an old fashioned kind of guy.

heck, you could even do it as a schooner. kind of a vacationer/Bolger light schooner hybred.

Last edited by captain jack; 11-02-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook