SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which 27 footer to buy.
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Which 27 footer to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Why is it a better boat than the Vega? Where do I start? To begin with its a far more modern design with a fin keel and big outboard rudder. It's a frac rig and doesn't need big genoas in light air. It's a Peter Norlin design and he was a very good designer. There would be no comparison at all in the overall performance of the Vega compared to the Cirrus 7.8.
I think the appeal to the Vega is that they are inexpensive, have made a number of decent voyages, and are easy to find.

I looked at one and wasn't really crazy about it, but I could see the appeal, especially for the price. I'd also have build quality concerns, the one we looked at had a substantial blistering problem (worse than any other boat we looked at).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Heck, a westsnail 28 might work for someone too. altho, not sure about $$$ initial.........
There was one for sale here for $40k recently. They have some nice features, but there is no way I'd pay that much for one.

I really like the interior layout for a 28ft boat, they did a much better job with the interior than a lot of other boats that size/year. I mostly like the fact it's useful for more than sitting in the cabin staring at each other. Our interior is atrocious, so is the Vega's for that matter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook