SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

I think my 50 footer is safer than the 25 / 30 or 37 footers I've owned. The main reason, fatigue. In rough conditions the smaller boat beats you up more. The smaller 5 boats ( owned 2 of the 30 and 37 footers) have comparable "comfort ratios" to the 50 for their size.

I sailed the smaller boats almost always solo. The 25 and 30 sloops the 37's cutters. The 37c was probably the easiest to sail alone. The more stable platform made all jobs easier, sails cooking etc.

I also single hand the 50, no power winches no autopilot. But it is a ketch rig so sail area for each sail is not that much more vs my cutters. The hardest part is docking the 50. I have to use spring lines now on the smaller boats it was optional.

"Sailing" yes the "bigger" boats around here also tend to motor a lot more. I will sail if there is any wind (staysails,drifters etc) if I'm day sailing. If on vacation I will motorsail because of limited time. Most of the bigger/expensive boats owners around me can't/ won't sail in light air. Its not that their boats can't sail faster it's that the owners can't/ won't. Or they don't have the sails to do so. I've been a fan of your mainster for years.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook