SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
I started the thread only about size and safety. ...

I also did not bring up that when we finished up in Mexico, we came home going to weather at 55 MPH. And last March, we towed to Napa Valley for some wine, and cruised the San Francisco Bay & Delta for months. Saw the Americas Cup boats on the water. Then towed back here to Az. Now planning to tow to the New Orleans area next Feb. for Mardi Gras, then cruise on over to the Tampa Fla. area and haul back out just at hurricane season. Do that with a 50 footer!

Greg
And what as that to do with being a bigger boat safer than a smaller boat?

Nobody says that your boat is not the perfect boat for you and it is perfectly safe for the type of cruising you do. If we were considering a circumnavigation crossing the big austral desert at 50º latitude I would say that it was not a safe boat to do that and a bigger boat would be required if safety was taken seriously. Seaworthiness is not an absolute term. A boat can be seaworthy in some conditions but not in others.

As a good example in what regards size and seaworthiness regarding the same type of boat sailed by a solo sailor we can look at solo racing boats and to a mini-class racer (22ft) a 40class racer and an Open60 class racer. All those boats are very seaworthy boats for its size and all designed to be solo sailed and they are so easy regarding an experienced sailor that even a 60ft boat can be sailed solo non stop around the planet.

If you said to a mini racer skipper that is boat is as seaworthy as an Open 60 boat he would think you were not serious about the question and that you were joking. There is no possible comparison.

Even in what regards 40class racers (hugely seaworthy for a 40ft boat) I remember that, when the boat was new, the sailors and designers had some doubts about if the boat would be suited to race solo on high latitudes. Now, after having tried they consider it is and the boat is also used on circumnavigation races but contrary to the Open 60's if there is a big storm going on they delay the departure to increase the safety margin.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook