SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
And what as that to do with being a bigger boat safer than a smaller boat?

Nobody says that your boat is not the perfect boat for you and it is perfectly safe for the type of cruising you do. If we were considering a circumnavigation crossing the big austral desert at 50º latitude I would say that it was not a safe boat to do that and a bigger boat would be required if safety was taken seriously. Seaworthiness is not an absolute term. A boat can be seaworthy in some conditions but not in others

.....SNIP......

Even in what regards 40class racers (hugely seaworthy for a 40ft boat) I remember that, when the boat was new, the sailors and designers had some doubts about if the boat would be suited to race solo on high latitudes. Now, after having tried they consider it is and the boat is also used on circumnavigation races but contrary to the Open 60's if there is a big storm going on they delay the departure to increase the safety margin.

Regards

Paulo
Paulo,

My statements about going to weather at 55 have nothing to do with safety. I was only responding to the post.

I need to repeat, I am talking about cruising and the "normal" cruising crew. NOT RACERS!!!!!!!!! NOT technical specifications.

As to the big water, Nor'Sea's have made many circumnavigations and literally hundreds of Atlantic and Pacific crossings. As a quick look, see the Zacko's web site, they crossed the Pacific from Spain, then through the Panama canal, then out through the South Pacific, they are now back in Spain; Ellen and Ed sail around the world in their NorSea 27 Entr'acte .

MY BOAT WITH Jill and I AS CREW IS SAFER THAN A 60 FOOT BOAT WITH Jill and I AS CREW! Even if I could handle the gear if the power was lost, Jill, the only other crew could NOT. THAT WOULD BE AN UNSAFE CONDITION.

Please give this up. I am NOT trying to convince you to get a small boat. And Jill and I are very happy with our boat, to date. As I said, we talk about it a couple time a year, and so far, plan to stay with it. You are happy with your boat, GREAT! We are happy with ours.

That is the GREAT thing about cruising! We are each captain of our own boat and as such take the responsibility for our own decisions and actions.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook