SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Free boat" seaworthiness
View Single Post
post #183 of Old 11-02-2013 Thread Starter
captain jack

Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

the jib sail is not on the boat. the posts for the safety line, that is supposed to connect with the rails at the bow and stern, are missing. the hatch lids are also missing. he is going to ask about those things, for me.

he said there was an article done about the builder and he will call his aunt, who knows about that, where that article can be found.

what I don't like about the boat, itself:

that's a small list. the flat top means that the deck, above the cabin, is not level. it's angled. it has a 1" high toe rail, but I find that small comfort as the deck was slippery. I can only imagine how it would be in heavy weather. choosing a new deck paint with non-slip properties would help that out but I still would prefer a slightly raised cabin and a narrower, level, deck to walk forward on. sound silly, maybe, but I don't swim and I don't fancy slipping overboard when I go up to lash down the jib, in a blow. roller furling would help, but still....

there isn't a ton of head room inside. thankfully, i'm not overly tall. still, it's not great for more than weekends. not that you couldn't do more than weekends. it would be more like camping: uncomfortable, hard on the back, but still fun anyway.

after knowing it was under muddy water, I don't think that motor only needs plugs. however, i'd prefer a quiet, non-polluting, non-stinking battery powered motor, anyway. it has a lazerate, which also needs it's cover, that could house a large marine battery.

don't think I forgot anything. now, my quandary:
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome