SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Free boat" seaworthiness
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

over all, the boat is far better than I had hoped. if the bottom paint is bad and it's coated with barnacles, that will be costly and time consuming. the average cost of hauling, blocking, cleaning, and launching is around $600 for a 24' sailboat, so far. I may be able to dicker a little, if I clean it myself.

on the other hand, if the bottom paint is good and the barnacles are only where I can see them, I wouldn't have to haul it. I could do my repairs on the water. that would drastically reduce the costs.

that being said, there are two arguments in my mind,

argument one:

it's not that bad and wouldn't take much to be a decent weekend cruiser. from what I have seen, it wouldn't cost a lot for the materials to fix it up. the storage is the real price problem. I could weld my trailer, quickly ( I need to stop putting that off anyhow ) and sail my holiday while I worked on it. then, when i'm done and have sailed the 'new' boat for a while, I can decide if I want to sell one of them or whatever. i'm thinking it would be foolish to ever sell the holiday. it's not costing me anything. as long as I have it, i'll have a sailboat. but I could sail the 'new' boat until I was prepared to upgrade and sell it for a few hundred dollars and still make profit.

argument two:

if I have to haul it, that'll be costly, in the short run, and my holiday costs me nothing. which is part of this argument, to wit: I already have a sailboat that needs no work and isn't going to cost me anything. also, as I have been reminded, I have a lot on my plate and do I really need another project? perhaps it would be better to strip it, at high tide tonight, and save my money til I find a better cheap or free boat, that won't take as much work. of course, it would be a shame to let it get cut up, but that's not my problem ( not an actual sentiment that fits my personality. if I choose argument two, I will feel bad about dooming this boat )

so, there you have it. I think I pretty much covered it. that's my dilemma.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook