Thread: Signatures
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Signatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
SVA, could you please show me examples to back up the assertions you make in this post?
No. First because I have better things to do and second because I would be responding to baiting.

Quote:
I post in off-topic. I post in off-topic a lot. Because I post in off-topic, I must be one of those you paint with your broad brush as "uncivil" and "full of flat-out bile."
Where you post is your business. I've had, in appropriate times and places, very civil discussions about politics. Participation in SailNet OT is not defacto proof to me of a lack of civility. I'm not the arbiter of civility anyway.

I don't know anything about you. Until you said so in this thread I didn't know you were a participant in OT. I do recall that you make interesting and substantive contributions to sailing threads. I observe that sometimes you are a party to the occasional emotional (I think) interchange well within the range of the socially acceptable. Sometimes I disagree with you on technical issues but that isn't relevant at all. That's all I think I know. You aren't on my ignore list. *grin*

I've used 'uncivil' but not 'full of flat-out bile' to my recollection, certainly not recently. I have probably used the word 'bile' for which I apologized when it was pointed out to me that what I intended as a global description was taken as personal.

Quote:
I find that characterization to be insulting and demeaning.
There is no characterization. I did not make any comment about everyone who participates in OT. What I said is that there is an apparent (because I have better things to do than keep score) correlation between OT and a lack of civility in the sailing threads. Some of the people that make the most significant contributions to the sailing threads were starting to drift away. The moderators have made their own assessment and have taken some steps.

If you think I'm the only person complaining you should ask the moderators. Some people don't complain; they just fade away. How is that good for SailNet?

Quote:
Note that the person in this conversation who is throwing around insults is the guy who deplores uncivil behaviour and wants it kept out of the sailing forums.
I'm working hard to avoid insults. When there is a sociological problem it can be challenging to address the issues without backlash. So be it. OT is not good for SailNet. Those political et al discussions can happen in other venues and SailNet will be better off for it.

You feel differently. You have every bit as much right to your opinion as I have to mine. Neither of us is in a decision-making position on SailNet. Attacking me personally for my opinion that OT at large isn't good for SailNet doesn't make a good case for OT.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook