SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Jon don't take me wrong but I find funny that when Americans talk about the boat that has made more circumnavigations they always talk about American boats. Sailing is a lot more popular in Europe and there are a lot more sailors in Europe. Do you think that French, Germans, British, Dutch, Swedish, Danes Spanish or even Portuguese when circumnavigate they do that in American boats?

More, on the last 10 years probably were made more circumnavigations than on all decades but together. Do you think that on the last 10 years the Tayanas or Vaillants were the boats more used, even by Americans?

I don't know and certainly they are not the boats more suited for it but if I would bet on a brand I would say Beneteau, Bavaria or Jeanneau, just because they are the boats that have been made in great number and the ones you can find in Europe and in the States.

Regards

Paulo
I don't disagree, I would certainly bet the most popular BRAND to go around would be one of those you've mentioned...

However, I was referring to specific boats, or models... The problem with specifying a particular design with builders like Beneteau, is that they're coming out with new models practically every year...

No question, most of us here tend to think in terms of what we Americans sail... SAIL magazine is just out with a feature on the "Top 12 Bluewater Cruisers", based solely upon the popularity of entries in all the WCC Rallies over the past 5 years... In order, they are:

Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 54DS
JeaneauSun Odyssey 49
Amel Super maramu 53
Hallberg Rassy 42 & 42FF
Amel 54
Hylas 54
Beneteau 57
Oyster 56
Lagoon 440
Bavaria 42 Beneteau
Oceanis 473

Average size of this fleet is 49.5

Average price? $481K

So, what would be your guess as to the single model that has gone around the most?

Last edited by JonEisberg; 11-02-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook