SailNet Community - View Single Post - " All Is Lost" movie
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013

upshift is on a distinguished road
Re: " All Is Lost" movie

SPOILER ALERT:
The movie is playing in land locked Albuquerque and I saw it today.
I feel the backstory and the opening “sorry” letter don’t suggest an earlier sin but a simple sorry to his family about letting them down and his inevitable disappearance at sea. He was getting up in years and probably had to set out on his ambitious adventure without his wife’s complete consent (his ring finger is shown often in the film).
My main criticism with the film is the lack of dialogue. If you woke up (sleeping in the v berth for some reason) to knee deep water, you’re going to spring to life yelling WTF!?!?! You’d be running around yelling at every bird, fish, cloud or winch handle. I don’t care who you are. I don’t care how seasoned, or green, you are, you’re going to freak out realizing your boat, in the middle of an ocean, is half full of water.
See Tom Hanks in Castaway for a better depiction of solo living.
My one other concern on the film is that he didn’t have a bucket. Seriously, it would be the first thing I’d grab. I won’t comment on how a sea anchor rolls over a shipping container in a flat sea or how easily he retrieves said sea anchor.
I REALLY wish the camera would have pulled back when Redford was up the mast. I think showing a solitary man atop the mast in the center of the ocean would really have made a statement.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook