SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Free boat" seaworthiness
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

ok. the plot thickens. found out a bit more. we stopped by to look at the boat, again. I wanted to see it at high tide, when it's actually floating. maybe a bad idea. the motion of a boat on the water is seductive. we went on over, without texting him first. he said I could take it whenever so I figured he wouldn't mind me looking at it again.

I discovered that the halyard is not stuck. so, I can sail it out of there....if I take it, I mean. I won't deny, a big part of me wants to. and, while we were there a younger guy comes out to talk to us. turns out, he is the aunt's actual son...and he lives there. I explained why we were on her property and we had a conversation.

the boat has been there for years, according to him. it was much nicer when it got there. it's been underwater numerous times, some of them not so short. so, that's something to know and it agrees with my own suspicions, after seeing it. tillers don't usually rot in the open air. still, after looking it over again, while floating this time, I can't say that there is structural damage. the deck is solid, except that one spot. the chain plates are solid and the rigging good. the rudder does work just fine, out of the mud.

this guy invited us to come by during the day, tomorrow, if we wish to look at it again. I am going to and, since he lives there, I am going to ask his permission to use the lift so I can see the underside. that would be a big help.

so, there it is, still torn. the history is frightening yet it looks better than it sounds. it is free. it wouldn't cost a ton to get ready to sail. but the marina fees will be something to consider. I did find a better and cheaper marina. they will do monthly and I can get a slip with a lift, if I like.

still considering....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook