SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Free boat" seaworthiness
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Jack, I wish you well no matter what road you choose. I respectfully think taking this boat would be a mistake, but you've seen her and know your abilities, time, and resources better than me.

We looked at a boat that we think was damaged by Hurricane Sandy. She had problems near the keel. When the tide was out, she looked beautiful (Islander 28), except for a line about 6" from the cabin floor. It took a while to realize what was happening - you could see where the water would come in as the tide came in. Basically, she sat on the bottom, and the dock lines and bottom kept her from completely sinking. She was at a private dock, and I was afraid she wouldn't even make the trip to a local marina to have her hauled for inspection. Until we saw the water line, my wife was convinced that this was the boat for us. Once we saw the water mark, we knew it was time to walk away. We STILL talk about that boat, how pretty she was, and what a shame it was to have to let her go. But from what we could piece together, the repair costs were more than the boat was worth.

Anyway...good luck. If you do take her, please start a new thread that shows your progress!
thanks. I definitely will.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook