SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
.. On the other hand I'm not sure open 60s are a good example of how much safer larger boats are......
What would be interesting is if one could compile statistics between the three classes to actually come to some conclusion backed by the evidence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
Don't know what I'm talking about? I never made any claims one way or the the other. But I guess your knee jerk mind failed to notice that.

In any case it's possible that certain inherent safety advantages the bigger boat has could possibly be offset by the dangers of higher speed, reduced ability to handle the bigger boat easily or higher degree of difficultly in engineering the larger boat. ....

But again when you are just looking at one set of numbers it doesn't tell you anything. ..
Sometimes I get lucky. I have said that evidently a big solo racer like an Open 60 would be much safer than a Mini class racer and that anyone that know something about these boats, particularly the ones that sail them, would have any doubt about that and just by accident a very experienced solo sailor had said just that yesterday.

The big Jaques Fabre Transat has been postponed a day (50k winds) and at a certain point on this video about that (min 1.08) a very experienced professional solo sailor, talking about facing bad weather is saying precisely that, talking not about mini class racers but about much bigger 40class racers versus 60class racers and 50ft multihulls versus 70ft multihulls.

On a more textual translation and than the one offered on the video he is sayng:

"They are all blue water racing boats with very experienced crews even if some are amateurs. Evidently the bigger the boat the safer we can consider we will be"

BRE - Briefing tempo - Transat Jacques Vabre 2013 por TransatJacquesVabre

as I have said, that is evident.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-03-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook