SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Brian you make very valid points. Paulo speaks to racing and high performance cruising but I think Greg is asking about us mere mortal cruisers. Still, Steve in his skinny long boats can routinely do 300 m/ d, I can expect the occasional 200+m/ d but Greg is probably doing 100-150m/d. Less days at sea=greater safety. Steve has to dock his boat and service it on occasion. I think one of the great joys of cruising is hanging out in new places. They seem to charge for everything by the foot. Don't care much about beam. I can sneak through the Panama Canal without extra line handlers for example. I can haul in any decent marina. I can afford a day or two in a slip for a break. But I'm still big enough for a mechanics room with a splendid to do my wash,and AC and water maker and generator and adequate tankage. Big part of cruising is quality of life. Comfy happy crew= good crew dynamics=good decisions= safety. Hearing about macho pros making BFS holds little interest to me as a average Joe.