SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Also consider that to get a decent job...well, a job that would pay the equivalent to one that a high school grad could get 20-30 years ago, requires a college degree. State school tuition can run up towards 45K for a degree.

20 years ago, not as many people in their early 30's started their lives with 40-50K of school debt.
That is a killer to new grads these days. I got out of undergraduate school with only 2500 in student loans and only added another 10,000 going to law school. It didn't take me that long to pay it off.

But, starting salaries haven't increased at anywhere near the rate tuition prices have. I often wonder how many of these kids who go to college, would be much better off, to learn a skill or trade, and take that same amount of tuition money, and use it to start a small business.

Undoubtedly, a lot of them would be better off doing that.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook